Sunday, July 1, 2007

Heads of State arrive for AU Summit

Accra, July 1, GNA – Heads of State attending the Ninth Ordinary Session of the African Union continue to arrive in Accra.Those that have arrived this morning (Sunday) are Joao Bernardo Vieira, President of Guinea Bissau; Mr Thabo Mbeki, President of South Africa; Tome Soares Dvera Cruz, Prime Minister of Sao Tome and Principe.
    
The rest are President Kifikepunye Pohamba of Namibia; Mr Mohamed Ghannouchi President of Tunisia; Mohammad Hosni Said Mubarak of Egypt; Paul Biya, President of Cameroon; and Paul Kagame, President of Rwanda.

Man assaults his 68-year-old grandmother

Kumasi, July 1, GNA – A Kumasi Circuit Court has remanded a 35-year-old man into prison custody for assault and threat of death on his 68-year-old grandmother.Kwadwo Brobbey pleaded not guilty and would re-appear on July 25.Police Inspector Appiah Kubi, prosecuting told the court, presided over by Mr. Ernest Yao Obimpeh that Brobbey lived with the grandmother, Madam Akua Adomah at Akwatialine in Kumasi where a wooden structure in the house is occupied by a cousin of the accused.

He said the accused who wanted to occupy the structure asked the grandmother to eject the cousin on several occasions but the complainant did not oblige.Inspector Appiah Kubi said on June 24 this year around 1900 hours, a quarrel ensued between Brobbey and the grandmother over the issue, leading to the grandmother receiving two slaps on the face from the accused. He is also said to have kicked her on the floor.He said people in the house took the grandmother into her room and locked the door but Brobbey, still in rage picked a bottle and threatened to kill Madam Adomah.

The prosecution said he was overpowered and a report made to the police leading to his arrest whilst the grandmother was issued with medical form to attend hospital.The police, after investigations charged Brobbey with the offence.

US accused of using Darfur crises to control Sudan's oil resources

Accra, July 1, GNA - The Sudanese President, Omar El-Bashir on Saturday slammed media reports of the crises in Darfur, as a vile propaganda, to prepare the grounds for the US and other external forces to take over its oil resources.

Speaking on a tele-conference witnessed by nine countries worldwide, including Ghana, Egypt and the US, President Bashir backed his posture by referring to the Iraqi war where he said President George Bush sent US troops under the pretext of looking for weapons of mass destruction.

The tele-conference coincided with the Ninth Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union in Accra, where the President was expected to be part of the grand debate for the unification of Africa

He said the war, which had so far claimed millions of lives including a number of US soldiers turned out to be an oil war, under the guise of "Oil for food programme."

President Bashir stuck to his opposition to peacekeepers from the West except personnel from the African Union under the auspices of the UN.

He explained that soldiers from perceived enemy states would only be interested in how to destabilise Sudan and exploit its oil resources.

The Head of State, whose address in Arabic was interpreted into English said: "Sudan has the right to resist Western Security forces."

He said aid workers and other Western agents were painting a gloomy picture about the Darfur situation, since it was more profitable for them to do so.

President Bashir noted that people who at one breath visited Sudan and gave a good account of Darfur, left the country to tell stories of rape and genocide and pointed accusing figures at former US Secretary of State, General Colin Powell.

He said armed robbery, ethnic conflicts and foreign interference had for a long time undermined peace and security in Darfur before he assumed political authority, noting that his administration had embraced a number of peace initiatives including the Addis Ababa Accord in 2005, which brokered the current road map.

The President noted that apart from pockets of security problems, Darfur could be described as a safe haven, saying the peace in the area made it possible for students to write this year's Sudanese Certificate Examination.

The former Military General said sanctions imposed on Sudan by the US was harming the peace process and compounding the problems in Darfur.

He said the sanctions were hurting the transport industry, especially rail and air travels, which had been hit by shortage of spare parts.

President Bashir said apart from his commitment towards the building of democracy in Sudan, he was also striving to keep the huge multi-cultural country, bordering about nine countries with 520 ethnic groups and languages united.

"Keeping Sudan united is very important", he emphasised.

Friday, June 29, 2007

An NGO assists seven disaster-hit schools in Tamale Metropolis

Tamale, June 29, GNA - The Inter-NGO Consortium operating in Tamale on Friday, presented 65 packets of roofing sheets worth 65 million cedis to the Tamale Disaster Relief Fund to assist re-roof seven disaster-hit schools in Tamale Metropolis.The beneficiary schools are, Tamale Girls' International School Complex (TAGIS) and Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) Primary and Nursery Schools all at Kaladan.The rest are Bethel Methodist Primary and Junior Secondary at Ward 'K', T.I. Ahmadiyya nursery and primary schools at Zorgbeli and Anglican Junior Secondary at Kalpohin.Mr Martin Alfa, a representative of Inter-NGO Consortium, presenting the items said those schools were not included in the Tamale Metropolitan Assembly's "Disaster Help" list for assistance.

He was optimistic that the items would help the affected schools to be restored to their previous status for effective teaching and learning.Alhaji Mustapha Ali Idris, Northern Regional Minister who received the items called on the media in the region to play the advocacy role on the Tamale disaster to enable people know the extent of destruction for assistance to the affected people and institutions.He said the number of displaced people, affected houses, schools and institutions continued to increase therefore, it was necessary for NGOs and other benevolent individuals to assist in re-settling those affected.Alhaji Idris called on the Ministry of Education, Science and Sports and the Ghana Education Service (GES) to make it as part of admission requirements for primary, junior and secondary schools to come along with two seedlings for planting to prevent disasters particularly in the three northern regions.

GBS introduces mobile testing Certification of sandcrete blocks.

Accra 29 June, GNA - "The Ghana Standards Board (GSB) has acquired a mobile testing laboratory (Van) for to check the quality of building materials before use.A pilot project has therefore started in the Grater Accra Region in fulfilment of its mandate of protecting the consumer and improving the quality of materials used in the building and construction industry.The National Building Regulation, LI 1630 of 1996 mandates the GSB to assess the quality of all building material before use.A statement signed by Adu G. Darkwa, Executive Director of GSB said the mobile testing aimed at providing conformity assessment service to small-scale companies and manufacturers.It would also provide basis for quality blocks manufacturing to ensure safety in the building industry as well as provide a data base on the quality of sandcrete blocks in Ghana.It said the pilot project had registered two hundred and thirteen factories in the project area and would be extended to other regions of the country after the pilot scheme.

It said each factory registered had been given a unique identification code and factories conforming to the standard would be issued with certificates indicating their strength, class of the block tested.The statement said the benefit of the program would include third party assurance of quality, providing data for designers, contractors and real estate developers and promoting standards and quality in the industry.The board in addition has also installed testing equipment for concrete pipe and concrete compression and invited all manufactures and consumers alike to make use of the facilities.

African Development Fund to be launched on Saturday

Accra, June 29, GNA - A Pan-African Infrastructure Development Fund (PAIDF) would be launched on Saturday at the ongoing African Union Summit, Professor Wiseman Nkuhlu, Chairperson of the Fund, announced on Friday. The fund, he said, had seed money of 625 million dollars and was aiming at attaining at least one billion dollars by the end of the year.
     Professor Nkuhlu said South Africa, the African Development Bank and Ghana through the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT), had already contributed to the Fund, which would be used mainly for infrastructure development, energy needs and promotion of science and technology across the continent.
     He said other countries in Africa had expressed interest in contributing to the fund, but were unable to because their legislations did not give way for the release of funds without parliamentary approval.
     Professor Nkuhlu, who is one of the brains behind the institution of NEPAD, called for the amendment of pension laws across the continent so that countries would be able to contribute to the fund.
     He said Africa had the potential to become a big investment destination by 2050, because by that time its population would be more that China's adding that it was for this reason that Africa needed to be strategic in its developmental agenda.
     "We need to focus on how to use the vast resources at out disposal to turn the continent round to become the desired place of choice for investors and people looking for potential markets for the goods," he said.
     Professor Nkuhlu said the focus of governments now should be the pace of development taking place in their respective countries.
     Mr Brain Kagoro, Pan Africa Director, Action AID International, said Africans needed to rejoice at their successes which had become the envy of some developed nations.
     Citing the election of an African Woman President, he said this kind of event had eluded the United States of America, a leader in democratic governance issues.
     "There is hope for Africa, because for some time now there has been significant economic progress across the continent, with conflicts reducing considerably," Mr Kagoro said.
      He said unless the continent's leaders invested in the people there could not be progress.

Rights NGO to hold vigil for Gambia murder victims

Accra, June 29, GNA - The Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI) on Friday said it would organize a vigil on Tuesday in honour of the 44 Ghanaians and six other Africans who were murdered in The Gambia two years ago.
     "It is our hope that the people of Ghana can signal to the Africa Union (AU) the importance of pursuing agendas that promote human rights throughout the region," it said in a statement released in Accra.

The statement said the vigil was to send a message to President Yahya Jammeh of The Gambia and to the rest of the AU leaders that Ghanaians and the international community could not look on quietly while human rights violations were happening.The statement called on President Jammeh to take responsibility for this injustice and communicate his commitment to find the perpetrators of this heinous crime to book.
     "We also hope that all AU delegates will adopt this issue and set a precedent that will serve to prevent future atrocities." It said the memory of the 44 Ghanaians serves as a lasting reminder of the persisting human rights issues still facing Africans.It said although many countries had pledged to enforce human rights, extra judicial killings in The Gambia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Democratic Republic of the Congo and other African countries continued to deprive individuals of their most basic human rights, the right to life.The statement also said the recent incidents in Darfur had received particular international attention and were regarded as the hallmark of these forms of infractions.

Work begins on Kwabenya landfill site project

Accra, June 29, GNA - The Kwabenya landfill site project would begin this year and completed by June 2009, Mr Stanley Adjiri Blankson, Accra Metropolitan Chief Executive said on Friday.
 He said valuations for compensation had been done adding, applications were being processed for compensation and pictures of about 80 houses to be demolished.
  Signing a 30-million dollar contract to start construction of Schools, Sanitation facilities and other projects including the landfill in Accra, Mr Blankson said a consultant was about to review designs of various building to be demolished in order to pave way for the construction.
 The project is jointly funded by the World Bank, Agence Franciase de Development (AFD), the Nordic Development Fund and the Government of Ghana.
 The Kwabenya landfill site project had been on hold for the past five years after protests by residents.
 Mr Blanskon said the assembly would be holding various meetings with legitimate landlords before the commencement of the project.
      He said the assembly would also take precautionary measures to ensure that people did not build in the night to escalate the compensation.
      The Mayor said the city was saddled with garbage collection problems, adding that it could not be held ransom by some people.
       "AMA was going to commence and complete the project at Kwabenya once and for all," he added.

Armed men kill GCB Deputy Managing Director

Tema, June 29, GNA - A gang of four armed men last night stormed the house of the Deputy Managing Director in-charge of Operations of the Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB), Mr Rocco Frimpong at Sakumono Estates and shot him dead at close range.A relative, Madam Rebecca Fumador, who is the deceased's brother's wife on Friday told the Ghana News Agency at the scene of the incident that the armed men disguised themselves in black dresses and dark sun glasses.She said at about 2030 hours on Thursday, she heard a knock at the main gate and went to open it and saw a young man who said he was looking for Mr Frimpong who was then ironing his dress in the room.
Madam Fumador said before she could ask further questions, the man pushed her aside, followed by three others and went straight to where Mr Frimpong was ironing, pulled him to the main gate and shot him.Just at that time, two of the armed robbers collected her husband, Mr James Dabo's two mobile phones and hit his forehead, resulting in blood gushing out.Madam Fumador said the armed men did not enter any of the rooms to pick anything but after shooting him at  the gate, they rushed into a dark-blue saloon car parked far away from the house and sped away.
There were blood stains at the main entrance to the house when the GNA visited there.Madam Fumador said the body has been deposited at the Tema General Hospital mortuary for autopsy.Meanwhile the Tema Regional Police Commander, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) John Kudalor confirmed the story and told the GNA that the Regional Police Command has offered 20 million cedis to anyone whose information would lead to the arrest of the perpetrators of the crime.

Court remands labourer for allegedly killing his brother

Bawku (UER), June 29, GNA – A Bawku Circuit court has remanded Akudugu Asawin 46, a labourer into prison custody for allegedly killing his junior brother suspected of flirting with his wife at Zawse.
     He pleaded not guilty and the docket on the case has been forwarded to the Attorney General's Department for advice.        
     Prosecuting, Police Inspector Andrews Yirenkyi told the court, presided over by Mr Justice Alex Owusu Ofori, that Akudugu and his wife Rebecca lived near his junior
brother Dashmani Asawin's house at Zawse, near Bawku.
     He said in the evening of Sunday, June 24, Akudugu who suspected his wife flirting with Dashmani trailed them to a drinking spot, but when they saw Akudugu behind them they separated and went different ways.
     Police Inspector Yirenkyi said the two brothers later engaged in a hot brawl at the drinking spot when Akudugu confronted Dashmani for flirting with his wife but they were separated.
     He said when Akudugu went home, he told his wife to leave her matrimonial home but Dashmani pleaded on her behalf but Akudugu refused.
     The prosecution said after Rebecca had left, Dashmani went to Akudugu's house at dawn on Monday June 25, and rebuked Akudugu for sending his wife away and this resulted into another brawl.
     He said in the course of the brawl, which lasted for nearly an hour, Akudugu hit the back of Dashmani's head with a stick, rendering him unconscious and later died while being sent to the hospital.
     The prosecution said Akudugu was arrested and after investigations charged with the offence.